Wednesday, December 5, 2012

And the journey begins...



You know I wish I could say there was a moment of epiphany when we realized that we wanted to adopt a child, but in fact when I reflect on the past; all the good bad and the ugly have brought us to this moment in time.
Most people out there who would like to be parents for numerous reasons-- to have a baby of their own they can nurture and teach them to do things, to have something to call their own and grow their families.  All of those things are perfectly natural and seem like a great idea for those people.  However, this is not the path Bobby and I want to travel at the moment.  Neither he nor I have the desire to conceive our own baby any time soon and we believe this feeling is also perfectly natural.  That’s not to say that we won’t eventually try to have a baby, but it is not for us at this time. Though we aren’t at the place to have a baby, we both agree that we are ready to be parents and are pursuing to adopt an older child from the state to call our own. 
 Now that I’ve said that, I’m sure you’re probably wondering why we’d choose to adopt from the state etc.  After all, those children come with a ton of baggage and numerous issues that will be hard to deal with, right?  Yes!  Of course! We actually desire to provide a family and a stable life to a child who doesn’t have one.  Without going into too much detail or speaking on Bobby’s behalf, I will say that I myself have endured all types of abuse throughout my lifetime but despite all that, God’s word remained true in my life and kept me on a course to this place. The Bible says, “All things work together for the GOOD of those who love God and who are called according to his purpose” and that means that He uses everything, EVEN THE TRAUMA,  to make me into EXACTLY the kind of mom needed for a child who’s been through the very same things I went through and more.  I was an abused child; I know what it feels like to be confused and feel like the situation is hopeless.  For that very reason, I KNOW I have what it takes to be the kind of mother of a child with those special needs. It’s amazing because I feel like I am literally watching my life story unfold  right now before my very eyes during this adoption process that proves once again that His word remains true.
Ultimately, I decided to start this blog so that we can record and share bits and pieces of this journey with our friends and family.  So if you’re reading this, my suggestion to you is to buckle up and brace yourself because it’s going to be a bumpy ride.  WE CAN’T WAIT!!

2 comments:

  1. Love this. So happy for you! (: You will be great parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I really hope so. I know that God put this in my heart and chose to open my husbands heart at just the right time to make this possible so I know that no matter what, He will be there to guide us every step of the way. He knew what he was doing when he chose us for this path so all we have to do is trust!

      Delete